Climate Change

Post here with any news report you want to discuss.
Irrev-Black

Re: Climate Change

Post by Irrev-Black »

Alan Kohler's got some damning stuff on the AlboGas Strategy that's puzzled and infuriated so many of us:
“I think we are headed for major societal disruption within the next five years,” said Gretta Pecl, at the University of Tasmania. “[Authorities] will be overwhelmed by extreme event after extreme event, food production will be disrupted. I could not feel greater despair over the future.”

Next day Madeleine King bounced out of bed, feeling net-zero despair, promoting more fossil fuels. Very strange: Most of the world’s scientists say we’re heading for disaster because of the burning of fossil fuels, yet the government is promoting them.

I can’t see what’s in it for them, beyond wedging the Opposition by stealing their ideas.

But the impact of it on Australia’s emissions reduction project will be disproportionate, and devastating.
So the dominant purpose of the Future Gas Strategy is exports, but this is not a very important export industry.

The industry employs 20,000 people – one-sixth as many as Coles – and pays little in taxes and royalties.

If it was a country, WA would be the world’s third largest exporters of natural gas, but according to the Australia Institute, the royalties paid by the gas industry to the WA government, totalled $670 million in 2023-24, or just 1.5 per cent of the state government’s revenue. Motor vehicle registration contributes almost twice as much; iron ore royalties nine times as much.

The Australian Taxation Office considers the oil and gas industry to be “systemic non-payers” of tax. The four biggest LNG producers operating in WA – Chevron, ExxonMobil, Woodside and Shell – made combined income of $55.2 billion in 2021-22 and paid $1.7 billion in corporate income tax and petroleum resource rent tax. ExxonMobil paid nothing. Exxon, Woodside, Shell and Chevron contributed less to the Commonwealth government than Australia’s beer drinkers, who raised $2.5 billion through the beer excise.
Domestic dilemma

As for its importance in supplying domestic energy, and specifically the transition to net zero by 2050, Madeleine King said: “Ensuring Australia continues to have adequate access to reasonably priced gas will be key to delivering an 82 per cent renewable energy grid by 2030, and to achieve our commitment to net-zero emissions by 2050.”

Really? The obvious key to delivering 82 per cent renewable energy is more solar and wind, with adequate storage – mainly battery and pumped hydro – so you would think words of encouragement and/or money should be applied to that.

In fact, it’s agreed by scientists that we need to electrify the nation’s homes and turn off the gas in them as quickly as possible along with those industries that use gas.
William of Ockham's standing behind my shoulder, muttering something about donors and lobbyists.

https://www.thenewdaily.com.au/finance/ ... ate-change
Greedy fuckers cannot self-regulate.
Prove me wrong.
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

AlboGas etc, Wilcoxed:
wilcox.jpeg
wilcox.jpeg (207.45 KiB) Viewed 930 times
Prove me wrong.
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

Irrev-Black wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:01 am AlboGas etc, Wilcoxed:

wilcox.jpeg
Also given the Hudson treatment:
hudson.jpeg
hudson.jpeg (169.85 KiB) Viewed 920 times
Prove me wrong.
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

In short, the Environment Minister doesn't have to give as many fucks for the environment as some would think.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-05-16/ ... /103855082
Prove me wrong.
pipbarber

Post by pipbarber »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/artic ... wave-india

It's not actually summer yet, just saying.
'The ultimate, hidden truth of the world is that it is something that we make, and could just as easily make differently.' David Graeber
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

pipbarber wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 6:22 pm
It's not actually summer yet, just saying.
The climate data says May is usually the hottest month there, but June and July still have plenty of scope for disruption. Meanwhile in Mexico, where May is also the hottest month, it reads like a science fiction scenario. In our sick world it doesn't make the news as much. I guess it's only a matter of time before some neglected US backwater has a crisis, then it will be a screaming headline.

https://apnews.com/article/mexico-heatw ... 01fb340bd5
I can feel it
pipbarber

Post by pipbarber »

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... ng-orange/

Orange rivers in the arctic seem to be caused by melting permafrost. Scary business. The water is so acidic it's causing environmental 'burns.'

Whatever anyone does, dont let Gina of the portrait know that there is iron sediment flowing in Alaskan rivers, she'll be buying it all.
'The ultimate, hidden truth of the world is that it is something that we make, and could just as easily make differently.' David Graeber
stevebrooks

Post by stevebrooks »

Good news, and what may be the death knell of nuclear in Australia, the installed base of Solar in Germany now far exceeds daily requirements during solar days, the focus on renewables is moving more to storage than production because they simply can't use all they produce, the price for solar power in Germany sometimes falls into the negative territory. While I don't like to credit Putin with anything, pushing Europe towards renewable power may the only good result of his expansionist policies, without this Europe may have relied on Russian gas for decades to come, pushing back it's strategies and commitment to prevent climate change!

https://markets.businessinsider.com/new ... een-2024-5
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

stevebrooks wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 1:47 pm Good news, and what may be the death knell of nuclear in Australia, the installed base of Solar in Germany now far exceeds daily requirements during solar days, the focus on renewables is moving more to storage than production because they simply can't use all they produce, the price for solar power in Germany sometimes falls into the negative territory. While I don't like to credit Putin with anything, pushing Europe towards renewable power may the only good result of his expansionist policies, without this Europe may have relied on Russian gas for decades to come, pushing back it's strategies and commitment to prevent climate change!

https://markets.businessinsider.com/new ... een-2024-5
Yes, I found the Germany-Russia gas connections quite shocking when I heard about them, especially the involvement of former Chancellor Schroeder. He must have been one of the first of Putin's "assets" at that level, long before Trump's pathetic toadying.

And the "too many solar panels" headline is wrong, it should be "not enough storage".

On Dutton's nuclear fairy tale, storage and growing renewables will happen naturally, long before he gets a chance to waste hundreds of billions of dollars. But he won't get that chance. I was reading this morning how it's looking like a terrible political blunder. I sure hope so, I'd greatly enjoy seeing Dutton humiliated.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... nergy-plan
I can feel it
stevebrooks

Post by stevebrooks »

stylofone wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 3:38 pmOn Dutton's nuclear fairy tale, storage and growing renewables will happen naturally, long before he gets a chance to waste hundreds of billions of dollars. But he won't get that chance. I was reading this morning how it's looking like a terrible political blunder. I sure hope so, I'd greatly enjoy seeing Dutton humiliated.
Yeah Nuclear was a failed policy from day zero. Honestly if we had installed nuclear in the 60's we might still be in the same position now only phasing out nuclear instead of coal/gas. The reason being the cost of nuclear is not just building the nuclear power station. The cost of decommissioning a nuclear power station is between 2 and 4 billion for small plants with costs exceeding 4b for large plants. Old nuclear power stations had a predicted lifetime of 30 years, new ones 40-60 years, so by now if we had installed nuclear in the 60's we would be looking at decommissioning and replacing second generation nuclear power stations with all that associated cost. What about spent fuel storage, in the US that currently comes to 500m a year, so over 40 years that's 20 billion, we would be looking at the same costs if we adopted nuclear early.

Conveniently none of this is mentioned when Dutton spouts off about nuclear, the cost of a nuclear power station is not how much it costs to build, because it may cost as much to decommission, so double that build cost, the add maybe 50m a year to store nuclear waste from one station, that's another billion, that's the actual cost of a nuclear power station.