Surveillance and Tracking Matters

All things technology oriented.
joele
Site Admin

Re: Surveillance and Tracking Matters

Post by joele »

stylofone wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:12 pmThe suggestion in this article is that some Toyotas actually have a sim card of their own.
I think that is the case with many of the EVs, it is there to enable the remote control apps to view charging status etc.

Labor need to get off their arses and give us GDPR laws so we own our data and they cannot share it without our permission (with the right not to have it shared).
"Now this is the command: Do to the doer to make him do." - The Eloquent Peasant (2040–1650 BCE)

“Religion the protector of the well fed and consoler of the hungry.” - Mikhail Bakunin
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

joele wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:56 pm
stylofone wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:12 pmThe suggestion in this article is that some Toyotas actually have a sim card of their own.
I think that is the case with many of the EVs, it is there to enable the remote control apps to view charging status etc.

Labor need to get off their arses and give us GDPR laws so we own our data and they cannot share it without our permission (with the right not to have it shared).
I did a bit more research. There are videos on the location of the sim card in cars. Most of them are about changing the sim because it doesn't work. People mostly want to use the apps and get upgrades, rather than disable the surveillance. There is apparently a European regulation about how the car should alert emergency services in certain circumstances, which I would consider benign, but would do without it if necessary. There is also some information about completely disconnecting the component which handles these features, causing a permanent warning light to appear on the dash.

As an aside, I also watched some interesting videos about EV battery replacement, including a Finnish hacker/mechanic who has developed methods for third party replacements for Nissan Leaf, which he has made open source and released on Github. sudo upgrade-range :D

Of course there's more to it than that, but the age of car hacking is upon us.
I can feel it
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

Jeebus wants my data for a sunbeam...

https://newrepublic.com/article/179397/ ... rveillance
Greedy fuckers cannot self-regulate.
Prove me wrong.
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

Irrev-Black wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:58 pm Jeebus wants my data for a sunbeam...

https://newrepublic.com/article/179397/ ... rveillance
In the wake of the "Jew list" incident here; seeing how normally moderate people are getting sucked in to taking a side in fights between two extremes; knowing the fascist proclivities of the tech billionaires who invented surveillance capitalism; seeing Trump on the verge of being a dictator on day one; with American gun culture out of control, to read about "spiritual warfare" and "violent prayer" - it all makes this a disturbing story.
I can feel it
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

Suddenly, that site, which had your details but didn't publish them, isn't as anonymous as you thought...

https://lifehacker.com/work/glassdoor-i ... ver-before
Prove me wrong.
joele
Site Admin

Post by joele »

Irrev-Black wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:31 am Suddenly, that site, which had your details but didn't publish them, isn't as anonymous as you thought...

https://lifehacker.com/work/glassdoor-i ... ver-before
I haven't used it in a while but tried to log in just then... I previously was able to log in and view stuff without adding my own review and telling them where I work. I can no longer do that, in order to continue it is forcing me to provide my employment details, sigh.. bye glassdoor..
"Now this is the command: Do to the doer to make him do." - The Eloquent Peasant (2040–1650 BCE)

“Religion the protector of the well fed and consoler of the hungry.” - Mikhail Bakunin
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

New in the USA - predatory kiosks.
Digital kiosks from Soofa seem harmless, giving you bits of information alongside some ads. However, these kiosks popping up throughout the United States take your phone’s information and location data whenever you walk near them, and sell them to local governments and advertisers, first reported by NBC Boston Monday.

“At Soofa, we developed the first pedestrian impressions sensor that measures accurate foot traffic in real-time,” says a page on the company’s website. “Soofa advertisers can check their analytics dashboard anytime to see how their campaigns are tracking towards impressions goals.”

While data tracking is commonplace online, it’s becoming more pervasive in the real world. Whenever you walk past a Soofa kiosk, it collects your phone’s unique identifier (MAC address), manufacturer, and signal strength. This allows it to track anyone who walks within a certain, unspecified range. It then creates a dashboard to share with advertisers and local governments to display analytics about how many people are walking and engaging with its billboards.
https://gizmodo.com/digital-kiosks-snat ... 1851368948
Prove me wrong.
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

Now here's something that I guarantee will eventually further enshittify life online.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-04-01/ ... /103653648
Prove me wrong.
joele
Site Admin

Post by joele »

So I have been a long term user of newpipe, which is an open source youtube player for Android, but on PC I was previously just using youtube. I am trying to move away from using the youtube site on desktop too and yesterday found freetube (been around for a long while, but new for me).

FreeTube is just a standalone open source app available for linux, mac, windows etc that allows you to watch youtube videos and importantly for me also subscribe, but without actually logging in to youtube. Your watch history and subscriptions etc are all ONLY stored locally. You can easily download videos through the app and if you want to you can use Invidious servers to do things like hide your IP from youtube/google too.

Another feature I like is that comments are hidden by default, you can choose to view them, but cannot add your own comments. Generally a good thing, I think, as youtube comments really are a cesspool most of the time.

https://freetubeapp.io/

stylofone

Post by stylofone »

I can't work out if there is anything new in this story, but it's a timely reminder that most smartphone users are lambs to the slaughter. Location tracking and the many ways supposedly anonymised data collected by mobile devices have been known about for a long time. The focus of the article is on potential vulnerability for the state security apparatus, but the data is also of huge benefit to the spooks, which might explain why it's allowed to proliferate.

https://interaktiv.br.de/ausspioniert-m ... index.html
I can feel it