Weather

Have something related to a scientific discovery/theory or philosophy point you want to discuss?

Also the right spot for discussions about environmental issues facing the world.
stylofone

Re: Weather

Post by stylofone »

pipbarber wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:05 pm We're having a rare hot spell, for this summer, in Melbourne. 35 today and tomorrow with a typical Melbourne change expected tomorrow night with temperatures dropping to 10C. But February is looking decidedly warmer than what we've had so far this season. I keep looking at the ocean temperature records, everyday now, it's like a standard whether check. I'm mildly concerned that it and other weird climate happenings might produce a hot autumn here, summer might simply be late for us. But who knows.

Not wild about the heat, i have to say.
The impression I've had here is that it's been a mild summer. It's misleading because overall it was the hottest January ever, but in some of the big population centres it hasn't been too bad. I suspect the additional moisture as a result of high ocean temperatures has helped caused the anomaly. This will fuel climate misinformation. Also, el nino could still bite and dry things out over autumn and winter.

It's 29 here right now, at 7pm. I nearly always enjoy hot weather - although there are iimits. I think it was the summer of 2013 where I experienced temperatures around 45 degrees, it was unpleasant.
I can feel it
pipbarber

Post by pipbarber »

It's gone apocalyptic here. Crazy lightening, wild wind. Not much rain where i am but i just heard it was torrential a couple of kms away. Big hail too in the south of the city, power outages to the west. Gawd.

Edit that: the sun has just come out. Wtf?
'The ultimate, hidden truth of the world is that it is something that we make, and could just as easily make differently.' David Graeber
stevebrooks

Post by stevebrooks »

pipbarber wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:48 pm It's gone apocalyptic here. Crazy lightening, wild wind. Not much rain where i am but i just heard it was torrential a couple of kms away. Big hail too in the south of the city, power outages to the west. Gawd.

Forecast here today, 41c, feels like 44c! Wtf!
pipbarber

Post by pipbarber »

stevebrooks wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:59 am
pipbarber wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:48 pm It's gone apocalyptic here. Crazy lightening, wild wind. Not much rain where i am but i just heard it was torrential a couple of kms away. Big hail too in the south of the city, power outages to the west. Gawd.

Yes, we Melbournians can't make too much noise about the weather, we and Hobartians have had it really fucking easy this summer compared to everywhere else in Australia. Feels like 44c is just downright dangerous.

The wild Melbourne weather yesterday was notable for how weirdly brief it was. Half an hour at most, where i was, and then the sun came out and 10c had been knocked off the day. A pleasant evening.
'The ultimate, hidden truth of the world is that it is something that we make, and could just as easily make differently.' David Graeber
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

pipbarber wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:22 am
stevebrooks wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:59 am

Yes, we Melbournians can't make too much noise about the weather, we and Hobartians have had it really fucking easy this summer compared to everywhere else in Australia. Feels like 44c is just downright dangerous.

The wild Melbourne weather yesterday was notable for how weirdly brief it was. Half an hour at most, where i was, and then the sun came out and 10c had been knocked off the day. A pleasant evening.
I never paid too much attention to meteorology, but I've been concentrating on it this past year. One day I noticed a strip of hot air blowing through bringing high temperatures between Wollongong and the VIctorian border, but it was cooler outside my local area. I guess the weather patterns sometimes push that hot air from the north west down to Melbourne and Hobart, bringing those days when it's hotter in the south.

But there are all different factors at play, e.g. the Southern Annular Mode, when it happens, is interesting because it blows the cold air from Antarctica over south eastern Australia. Then there are the Pacific effects like El Nino. The weather is a chaotic system and climate change has unpredictable effects.
I can feel it
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

Crazy weather coming up: hot in the south, wet in the west, flipping what we've had in recent months. February was another record-breaker for global heat, the ninth record-breaking month in a row. Ocean temperatures off eastern Australia are also breaking records. Cyclones threatening in the north.

It'll be warm where I am, but not unpleasant. Overall I'm getting a "global weirding" vibe.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-03-09/ ... /103565312
I can feel it
pipbarber

Post by pipbarber »

39 today in Melbourne, then 38 on Sunday and 38 again on Monday! This is the hottest spell for the summer and actually from memory the first time in several years we've had 3 consecutive days in the high 30s. I can't complain, we've had a mild summer down south, unlike the rest of Australia and this is just something of a sting in the tail. I'm quite sure it's the last of the heat before six pleasant Melbourne months take over, quite sure....well, sort of sure...as in hopefully sure. It couldn't just stay hot, throughout autumn, no way. Although i am somewhat unsettled by the winter heatwaves in sth America last year, but it couldn't happen here....
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

We're getting some really heavy rain here this morning. The typical pattern is for systems to move in from the west, but this one seems to be coming from the other direction, forming over the sea.
Screenshot 2024-03-18 at 09-22-07 Mapping.png
Screenshot 2024-03-18 at 09-22-07 Mapping.png (139.89 KiB) Viewed 500 times
I can feel it
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

40 to 80 mm of rain is forecast here tomorrow, more on Saturday. It has already started. With my poor drainage that is enough to flood the garage. This time I am prepared, I bought a cheap hose and some connectors so I can have my drainage pump ready to go, I'll just have to keep an eye on the section where the water comes in and be ready to go.
I can feel it
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

The April rain apocalypse was a bit of a doomsday cult special, i.e. it didn't happen. I'm now getting ready for the May version. I've added a couple more little trenches to my emergency mitigation system. The ground is already sodden and they are working, but it's just a trickle. If the forecast 40-80mm today and tomorrow comes true it will be a test.
I can feel it