Removing illegally placed religious propaganda

Discussion of Family, Wellbeing, Education, Justice and Sexuality
RighteousRichey

Removing illegally placed religious propaganda

Post by RighteousRichey »

Atheist Street Pirates is a group which removes illegally placed religious propaganda from public property nationwide & reports them on a map. If anyone wants to report these signs, whether they're cardboard signs, stickers, metal signs, banners, flags, whether they're on street signs, power poles, anywhere on public property, please go to the website for Atheist Street Pirates.

https://www.atheistsunited.org/streetpirates

Anyone who wants to officially join ASP & help remove this propaganda, please go to the website then scroll down & click where it says "Join A Local Crew" to be directed to an email form which you will need to fill out with your contact information. Not long after filling it out & sending it, you will be contacted by member who will explain some things to you about what ASP does & give you some tips & tricks then send you an invite to join the group on the Slack app.

This group is based in the United States but I posted this information on Reddit & some people from Australia were wanting to know more about it so when I found out about this website I thought it made sense to share here as well
Irrev-Black

Re: Removing illegally placed religious propaganda

Post by Irrev-Black »

It's really cool that a bunch of people have gotten sufficient legal education to determine whether articles are legally posted or not! Those Pirate guys rock.

ADD: Do their activities stretch to other harmful advertising and promotional material? I mean, fascists, homophobes, very unethical business practices?

(I've ruined more multi-level {yeah pyramid} marketing come-ons, placed on poles at pedestrian crossings, than anything else.)
Greedy fuckers cannot self-regulate.
Prove me wrong.
RighteousRichey

If they are illegally posted, then yes sometimes we remove those if we see them, as with all other types of bandit signs that are illegally posted, but we don't update them on the map & we prioritize the religious propaganda
RighteousRichey

Irrev-Black wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:15 pmIt's really cool that a bunch of people have gotten sufficient legal education to determine whether articles are legally posted or not! Those Pirate guys rock.

ADD: Do their activities stretch to other harmful advertising and promotional material? I mean, fascists, homophobes, very unethical business practices?

(I've ruined more multi-level {yeah pyramid} marketing come-ons, placed on poles at pedestrian crossings, than anything else.)
If they are illegally posted, then yes sometimes we remove those if we see them, as with all other types of bandit signs that are illegally posted, but we don't update them on the map & we prioritize the religious propaganda
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

Irrev-Black wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:15 pmI've ruined more multi-level {yeah pyramid} marketing come-ons, placed on poles at pedestrian crossings, than anything else.)
I was a member of a two-person BUGAUP crew for a brief and glorious time in the 1980s.

The basic mission of the street pirates in question seems admirable, although in recent years here I have seen more fascist adjacent anti-vaxx material. Occasionally I'll take a paint scraper on my daily walk to remove such garbage. Also the actual swastikas need to be cleaned off immediately. I'll watch out for any emergence of religious pollution and take individual action if it shows up. It's not such a big problem here, but I can imagine it would be bad in the US, where the Christian right is becoming more fascist.

@RighteousRichey I deleted my reddit account last year, and I won't use corporate or surveillance media. Slack sounds like the sort of platform I'd avoid like the plague. Have you tried the fediverse?
I can feel it
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

stylofone wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:10 am I was a member of a two-person BUGAUP crew for a brief and glorious time in the 1980s.

The basic mission of the street pirates in question seems admirable, although in recent years here I have seen more fascist adjacent anti-vaxx material. Occasionally I'll take a paint scraper on my daily walk to remove such garbage. Also the actual swastikas need to be cleaned off immediately. I'll watch out for any emergence of religious pollution and take individual action if it shows up. It's not such a big problem here, but I can imagine it would be bad in the US, where the Christian right is becoming more fascist.

@RighteousRichey I deleted my reddit account last year, and I won't use corporate or surveillance media. Slack sounds like the sort of platform I'd avoid like the plague. Have you tried the fediverse?
Yes, nazis, vaxx-dodgers and get-robbed-quick schemes do more actual harm than the notion that sky fairy will intervene to stop itself from damning you.

I'm also loath to join anything that retains my contact stuff and might on-sell my data.

Give me a handful of indignant, disorganised, anarchists any day.
Prove me wrong.
RighteousRichey

stylofone wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:10 am@RighteousRichey I deleted my reddit account last year, and I won't use corporate or surveillance media. Slack sounds like the sort of platform I'd avoid like the plague. Have you tried the fediverse?
No, this is the first time I've ever heard of Fediverse, but I will definitely look into it
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

RighteousRichey wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:00 pm
stylofone wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:10 am@RighteousRichey I deleted my reddit account last year, and I won't use corporate or surveillance media. Slack sounds like the sort of platform I'd avoid like the plague. Have you tried the fediverse?
No, this is the first time I've ever heard of Fediverse, but I will definitely look into it
Here's an article you may find helpful.

https://www.atheistrev.com/2022/11/why- ... -life.html
Prove me wrong.