Soccer team saving the world by building housing

Discussion of Family, Wellbeing, Education, Justice and Sexuality
stevebrooks

Soccer team saving the world by building housing

Post by stevebrooks »

I can imagine how well this will go. In most of these shit shows they invest huge sums of money building the income attracting aspects of the facilities, like the stadium, commercial office space and and hotel, suddenly find they are massively over budget and abandon the rest. It seems so counter to all reason to have big soccer club doing this that I can't imaging anything will go the way they claim, it's bizarre indeed.
The project, to be built in the fringe suburb of Tarneit, will cover a 62.5ha site and encompass new apartment blocks, housing subdivision lots, a hotel, commercial office space, an indoor sports arena, training and medical facilities, shops, bars and parkland.
Ah, ok I see, they used this as a bribe to get their licence to play football, lol, it's even worse than I imagined;
Plans for the development have already been approved by the Victorian state government and were instrumental in Western United being granted an A-League licence in 2018.
And a big commercial builder involved, well it's already doomed, I can see them going bankrupt halfway through!
Funding for the rest of the project is coming from a public-private partnership deal with Wyndham Council and Melbourne developer YourLand Developments, which will build the project, and private investors, including athletes such as Collingwood star Scott Pendlebury, tennis player Thanasi Kokkinakis and Australian Olympic basketballers Dante Exum and Chris Goulding, along with wealthy Melbourne families.
Seems they got them lined up there, wealthy families, sports stars, a city council and a private development company, I give it a year before it all goes pear shaped, and I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't take that long! Processional sports stars are, after all, notoriously savvy and knowledgeable about investing their money, oh hang on no, it's the opposite of that isn't it, the number of sports stars who are successful in business is not actually that large! And councils, well I have seen how many of them do business, wonder who got the big payoff there!

https://www.news.com.au/finance/real-es ... 1027e98189
pipbarber

Re: Soccer team saving the world by building housing

Post by pipbarber »

Good luck to western united attracting a professional soccer player to live in Tarneit rather than inner city melbourne, Sydney, brisbane or anywhere else in...the actual world.

It's damned grim out there.
'The ultimate, hidden truth of the world is that it is something that we make, and could just as easily make differently.' David Graeber
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

pipbarber wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:28 pm Good luck to western united attracting a professional soccer player to live in Tarneit rather than inner city melbourne, Sydney, brisbane or anywhere else in...the actual world.

It's damned grim out there.
would the phrase "helicoptered in" have any bearing?
Greedy fuckers cannot self-regulate.
Prove me wrong.
nibble

Post by nibble »

I say good luck to them. There is no stopping the rise of soccer in Australia now (finally) and as a father of a young son who plays the game I am all for it. :D
Spiral out ....
stevebrooks

Post by stevebrooks »

nibble wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:22 pm I say good luck to them. There is no stopping the rise of soccer in Australia now (finally) and as a father of a young son who plays the game I am all for it. :D
Oh I have nothing against soccer itself, I do draw the line at paying massive bribes in the form of building projects to get a licence though, to me they've already started off on the wrong foot, and that's if even the project gets finished!