Patriarchy, DV and misogyny

Discussion of Family, Wellbeing, Education, Justice and Sexuality
pipbarber

Patriarchy, DV and misogyny

Post by pipbarber »

A thread for the ongoing war against women.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... gal-system
Most people who experience sexual violence never report it to the police. Data from the Australian Bureau of Statistics shows that only 13% of victim-survivors reported their most recent incident of sexual violence. Victims who don’t report cite many reasons for their decision: fear of the perpetrator, fear of not being believed, feelings of shame, not trusting the police or fearing the legal process and thinking there was nothing that the police could do.

Of those that do report to police – our 13% of the overall victim-survivors – very few cases will proceed beyond report. Of those that are investigated, even fewer proceed to charge. It was at this point in the process that the Lerhmann matter first stalled.

Evidence shows that in about half of our 13% of reported cases, police will identify an alleged offender. This means about 6.5% of reported victims remain in the justice system, but not all of these will go to court. Of those that do, conviction rates are low. Overall, estimates sit below 2%.
2 percent! That would constitute a complete and total systemic failure, i'd suggest.
'The ultimate, hidden truth of the world is that it is something that we make, and could just as easily make differently.' David Graeber
pipbarber

Re: Patriarchy, DV and misogyny

Post by pipbarber »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... patriarchy

A spectacular own goal from the chess bossboys, who may be good at moving pieces around a board but no so good at biology and somewhat blind to social theory.

I imagine what happened here is that Pinker and Peterson sent love letters to the chess federation and they lost their minds in a fanciful swoon, poor chaps.
'The ultimate, hidden truth of the world is that it is something that we make, and could just as easily make differently.' David Graeber
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

pipbarber wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:34 pmI imagine what happened here is that Pinker and Peterson sent love letters to the chess federation and they lost their minds in a fanciful swoon, poor chaps.
I also read about Russian dominance in chessland, including Putin-connected power mongers.
I can feel it
pipbarber

Post by pipbarber »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... male-roles

Bit of Tory confusion playing out here, perhaps. A funny and interesting analysis from Martha Gill.
...how about a minister for the upper classes? You could after all argue that the upper classes suffer from problems specific to their group. Psychological scars from boarding school, hunting-related spinal injuries, receding chins, emotional reticence, an over-reliance on homeopathy, persistent mockery in sketch shows, spite from leftwing columnists and more difficulty, these days, getting an entry job at the BBC.
Worth a read, this piece. As the author points out, i wonder which men will be benefited? Black or brown men? Gay men? Trans men? Poor men? Nah, i'd be pretty confident the focus would be wealthy straight white men, you know, just the real men. But then the proposal includes getting more men into the caring professions, which is actually a reasonable idea. To sum up, they're fucking clueless, they can't even get their own ideology right.

Personally, i'd propose a minister for tories, they must be terribly traumatized right now and they all need to transition into absolute obscurity. Tricky for them.
pipbarber

Post by pipbarber »

Russell Brand. He was always a sleazy creep, then he became a right wing grifter. Double yuk.

More damning, in the light of what we now know, is the superstructure of the patriarchy that supported and enriched him for so many years, and will continue to do so, until justice arrives, if it arrives.
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

Another of that horrid Tate's little cash cows is defanged.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2023/s ... ndrew-tate
Greedy fuckers cannot self-regulate.
Prove me wrong.
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

Archaeological interpretation can be sexist, too.
Prof Kemi FG
@KFuentesGeorge@universeodon.com

My "favourite" thing about this study is the part where achaeologists who found hunting tools/weapons in women's graves assumed they were kitchen implements.

Like, "well Hans, in this woman's grave, we found what inscriptions at the time have named the Flail of Vengeance. As of right now, we are not sure to what culinary task this tool was turned, but conjecture that it was possibly the preparation of small pies."

#archaeology
#feminism
#women
Oct 18, 2023, 05:43 · · · 215 · 8
Prove me wrong.
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

Irrev-Black wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:30 pm Archaeological interpretation can be sexist, too.
Prof Kemi FG
@KFuentesGeorge@universeodon.com

My "favourite" thing about this study is the part where achaeologists who found hunting tools/weapons in women's graves assumed they were kitchen implements.

Like, "well Hans, in this woman's grave, we found what inscriptions at the time have named the Flail of Vengeance. As of right now, we are not sure to what culinary task this tool was turned, but conjecture that it was possibly the preparation of small pies."
Scientific American article on same.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... -is-wrong/
Prove me wrong.
pipbarber

Post by pipbarber »

Turns out that contemporary archeological and anthropological research is increasingly demonstrating that gender, and gender roles, are actually looking more and more like....social constructs! Gasp! The horror!

Of course you could build a very lucrative career on ignoring examples that demonstrate this and focus exclusively on examples of man hunters and woman housewives, if you wanted to. Shout out to Jordan Peterson and Steven Pinker. All this ignoring must be annoying for them.
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

It's still before the courts, so of course our members will comment wisely and not ruin the course of justice...

... but the name of the Toowoomba rape defendant is now legally revealed.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-10-26/ ... /102962680
Prove me wrong.