Peterson, Pinker, IDW and other celeb bullshitters

Discussion of religion, conspiracy theories, pseudoscience and similar topics.
pipbarber

Peterson, Pinker, IDW and other celeb bullshitters

Post by pipbarber »

We need a thread for this batshit bunch and Jordan Peterson is a good a place to start as any.

Via PZ Myers
He and his publisher spattered the back cover of his latest book, Beyond Order, with blurbs from reviewers that praised it highly…or did they?

Another objection came from The Times reviewer James Marriott, because the blurb included from his review quoted him calling the book “A philosophy of the meaning of life… the most lucid and touching prose Peterson has ever written.”

In a now-deleted X post, Marriott noted that the ellipse covered up that his full sentence was “A philosophy of the meaning of life which is bonkers.”

“My review of this mad book was probably the most negative thing I have ever written,” Marriott said. He later added that he was amused by the situation, “Though my amusement is tinged with annoyance at being misrepresented to the tens of thousands of people who will buy that book in paperback.
There are other misrepresentations in the back cover reviews to amuse.
https://www.mediaite.com/print/book-rev ... d-glowing/

It says so much that he's reduced to such pathetic tactics just to flog a few copies of some bullshit book.
'The ultimate, hidden truth of the world is that it is something that we make, and could just as easily make differently.' David Graeber
Irrev-Black

Re: Peterson, Pinker, IDW and other celeb bullshitters

Post by Irrev-Black »

@pipbarber - along the lines of
- Dear Sir: I thank you for sending me a copy of your book, which I shall waste no time in reading.
-- Benjamin Disraeli, 1st Earl of Beaconsfield
Greedy fuckers cannot self-regulate.
Prove me wrong.
joele
Site Admin

Post by joele »

ohh boy, kind of funny, but not going to do any good.

If anything it just gives him more to whinge about and point to in order to declare himself a victim.
An Ontario court ruled against psychologist and media personality Jordan Peterson Wednesday, and upheld a regulatory body's order that he take social media training in the wake of complaints about his controversial online posts and statements.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ ... -1.6943845
"Now this is the command: Do to the doer to make him do." - The Eloquent Peasant (2040–1650 BCE)

“Religion the protector of the well fed and consoler of the hungry.” - Mikhail Bakunin
Loki

Post by Loki »

"I like to think and we think by talking in large part."
There's ur problem.
pipbarber

Post by pipbarber »

Loki wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:23 pm
There's ur problem.
This would explain his books, he must dictate them.
'The ultimate, hidden truth of the world is that it is something that we make, and could just as easily make differently.' David Graeber
Loki

Post by Loki »

pipbarber wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:15 pm
Loki wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:23 pm
There's ur problem.
This would explain his books, he must dictate them.
Ah yes, that well worn literary method.

Stream of semiconsciousness
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

It's spreading.
Spinopsys
@spinopsys@aus.social

Apparently Jordan Peterson is now on Blue Sky.
Oct 06, 2023, 14:13 · · 1 · 0
Greedy fuckers cannot self-regulate.
Prove me wrong.
stylofone

Post by stylofone »

I stumbled on a designer of T-shirts clearly meant to mock our favourite bullshit artist. At the same time, some of them are not quite clear, perhaps designed to trick a fanboi into wearing one without realising it's satire. I like the unsubtle ones the best, like the snake-oil label below. I also liked "My gender is lobster-kin. My pronouns are sort/yourself/out. Not that I care enough to buy one, but it made me chuckle.
Screenshot 2023-10-23 at 07-01-36 Sort Yourself Out Syrup Old Timey Jordan Peterson Meme Essential T-Shirt for Sale by Joe-okes.jpg
Screenshot 2023-10-23 at 07-01-36 Sort Yourself Out Syrup Old Timey Jordan Peterson Meme Essential T-Shirt for Sale by Joe-okes.jpg (114.64 KiB) Viewed 1699 times
https://www.redbubble.com/people/joe-ok ... r=relevant
I can feel it
stevebrooks

Post by stevebrooks »

Loki wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:23 pm"I like to think and we think by talking in large part."
Is that a real quote? I have a hard time believing it. I solved the riddle of the expanding universe on along drive from Exmouth to Perth, honestly I felt it was probably rubbish and would likely be laughed at by actual scientists, but I can't recall having much of a conversation with myself about it. Then I find out later as it turned out someone else had already thought of it, it turns out, according to them, and me, that the accelerating expansion of the universe is more an observer effect than an actual thing, and that, my friends, is the closest I will ever get to a Nobel Prize, thinking of things other people already thought of doesn't actually get you anything!

I mean if he thinks by talking then he can only think about things we already have words for and couldn't possibly invent anything new because there is no word for it.
Loki

Post by Loki »

"Better to stay silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt".

-ancient saying written specifically for Peterson.

And Musk

Trump

Dutton

Ok all right lots of people.