Colonisation by British 'luckiest thing' to happen to Australia - John Howard

Post here with any news report you want to discuss.
joele
Site Admin

Colonisation by British 'luckiest thing' to happen to Australia - John Howard

Post by joele »

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-66309637
"I do hold the view that the luckiest thing that happened to this country was being colonised by the British," he said. "Not that they were perfect by any means, but they were infinitely more successful and beneficent colonisers than other European countries."
Lucky for who? the indigenous people? mmm.. Lucky for the land/environment itself? mmm, Ohh wait he means lucky for the British Settlers?

Very odd statement really, all colonisers were barbaric, "not that they were perfect" is a HUGE understatement.
"Now this is the command: Do to the doer to make him do." - The Eloquent Peasant (2040–1650 BCE)

“Religion the protector of the well fed and consoler of the hungry.” - Mikhail Bakunin
Irrev-Black

Re: Colonisation by British 'luckiest thing' to happen to Australia - John Howard

Post by Irrev-Black »

On top of the inhuman lies of the Tampa affair and "children overboard", and Howard's nastinesses with "choices" and "better, fairer" in their names, John Howard thinks all the massacres were some kind of good fortune?

He is a shameful little man.
Greedy fuckers cannot self-regulate.
Prove me wrong.
pipbarber

Re: Colonisation by British 'luckiest thing' to happen to Australia - John Howard

Post by pipbarber »

Archaic. I actually wonder whether it might be a good idea to give more of the microphone to Howard. His views are so old and so outdated, they do not represent anywhere near a majority, in fact i reckon a good proportion of people who are contemplating a no vote do not share Howard's ideas on the virtues of colonisation.
'The ultimate, hidden truth of the world is that it is something that we make, and could just as easily make differently.' David Graeber
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

Oh, yeah... The phrase "Mutual Obligation" was brought forth under John Howard.

Was there ever anything as not-at-all-mutual as the jobseeker jump-through-the-hoops regime he instituted?
Last edited by Irrev-Black on Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: "as" vice "is"
Prove me wrong.
Roentare

Post by Roentare »

His "luckiest thing" is probably referring to import of alcohol, syphilis and genocide. How lucky.
Life isn't perfect,
people aren't perfect,
but there are
moments that are.

Roentare Photo Portfolio
Irrev-Black

Post by Irrev-Black »

Roentare wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:41 pm His "luckiest thing" is probably referring to import of alcohol, syphilis and genocide. How lucky.
My folk have lots to thank them for.

By the way, welcome, and I admire your photos!
Prove me wrong.
Roentare

Post by Roentare »

Thank you. I got a bit of addiction to showcase my underappreciated arts any opportunity I got lol
Life isn't perfect,
people aren't perfect,
but there are
moments that are.

Roentare Photo Portfolio