The end!

All the latest forum news and announcements.
two dogs

The end!

Post by two dogs »

The last vestige of the previous version of these forums has just been removed. :(

What was done on the 20th of August was a redirect to here via the .htaccess file on the web server for the old site.

The DNS servers for the site were then updated to do the redirection so that I could delete the site from the server, which I did a coupla days later.

However, my small personal website was also hosted on that server, and I took my time to migrate it to a much cheaper, shared, hosting service (at Webcentral for $6.95/month).

I've just now "destroyed" my VPS (Virtual Private Server) on Vultr, incurring a charge of US$3.19 for this month, as I'm billed for the previous month's usage on the 1st of each month.

Of course, I have backups of the old Australian Atheists Forums, the short-lived Feminists Without Religion Forums, and my personal site (among other backups, before I relinquished my role as the IT Administrator of the AFA, such as the 2010/2012/2017 Global Atheist Convention websites, the 2011/2016 censusnoreligion.org.au websites, and sundry other events that the AFA promoted (Richard Dawkins/Robin Ince/The Holy Trinity/...)).

The great thing about providers like Vultr (who probably have a more commercial than personal focus) is that via their control panel, I could easily "spin up" a server and restore a backup into it by myself, and be billed hourly for usage.
The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.

David Morrison (1956 -)
Irrev-Black

Re: The end!

Post by Irrev-Black »

two dogs wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:12 pm The last vestige of the previous version of these forums has just been removed. :(

(SNIP)
Once more, thanks. It was a helluva time.
Greedy fuckers cannot self-regulate.
Prove me wrong.
two dogs

Re: The end!

Post by two dogs »

And a big thank you to @joele for keeping this small, close-knit, community alive!
The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.

David Morrison (1956 -)